Tuesday, April 6, 2010

{Washington DC}

*WARNING* Picture Overload
(I don't know about you, but the posts with lots of pictures are my favorites!)
So, the Mr. and I took a nice day off work yesterday to go to the Cherry Blossom Festival in Washington DC. I had seen some gorgeous pictures of the cherry trees in bloom and I wanted to get in on the action.

The plan was to take the Metro into DC but it took THREE stations before finding parking at any. Ugh.

We didn't end up getting to DC until about 2,... but it was really nice and sunny out and we had a great time. I got tickets online for a trolley tour that we didn't end up taking :( Luckily, they are good for 6 months so we intend to go back and see a bunch of the stuff we didn't get to this time.

These Capitol pictures were taken from the center of the National Mall, I LOVE my zoom lens!!

The Washington Monument was taken from the exact same spot as The Capitol, I turned and snapped the shot. I thought that was pretty cool. It is TWO MILES!!! from the Lincoln Memorial all the way to the White House!! That is a LOT of walking! (we didn't do that) :)

The main goal of this trip was to see the cherry trees. They only bloom for a very short period of time every year and it is really hard to predict when that will be. I believe the AVERAGE dates for blooming are around April 4th - April 10th (ish). This year, since we're having some ridiculous warm weather on the East Coast, the blossoms were in peak bloom March 31 and by the time we got there it was slim pickins.



(above: My handsome Husband)
I don't think I have ever mentioned on my blog before that I LOVE the Muppets!! I have 3 seasons of The Muppet Show and every episode is hilarious! So you can imagine my excitement when we got to see Kermit,... THE Kermit. The ORIGINAL Kermit, at The Smithsonian! SO cool. Look how cute Kermie is! *kiss*
This is a random perspective of the HUGE glass flag that is right on the inside of the National Museum of American History. If you walk around this flag, right on the other side of the wall is the HUGE American flag that flew over Fort McHenry in 1814.
It is holy and thread bare and so so BIG. It was really cool. Did I mention it was big? 30' x 42' original size to be exact. Current size is 30' x 34'.
Of course there were some street musicians. These guys were our fav. They were singing their rendition of Lady Gaga's "Bad Romance". No,.. really, SOOOO not kidding. You can laugh, it was pretty hilarious.


Dinner was via Olive Garden 30th birthday gift card from my sister-in-law. YUM.
All in all the day was pretty fun (ridiculously hot for April in DC, but fun). I can't wait to go back and experience the trolley tour. Any readers out there been to DC? Favorite thing to see???

No comments:

Post a Comment